A little over a week into the year, I think I’ve settled on a focus word for the coming 12 months.
1. equivalent in value to the sum or item specified.
"jewelry worth $450 was taken"
2. sufficiently good, important, or interesting to justify a specified action; deserving to be treated or regarded in the way specified.
"the museums in the district are well worth a visit”
3. used to suggest that the specified course of action may be advisable.
"a meat and potato dish that's worth checking out"
4. having income or property amounting to a specified sum.
"she is worth $10 million"
1. the value equivalent to that of someone or something under consideration; the level at which someone or something deserves to be valued or rated.
"they had to listen to every piece of gossip and judge its worth"
2. an amount of a commodity equivalent to a specified sum of money.
"he admitted stealing 10,000 dollars' worth of computer systems"
3. the amount that could be achieved or produced in a specified time.
"the companies have debts greater than two years' worth of their sales"
4. high value or merit.
“he is noble and gains his position by showing his inner worth"
I like a word that can cover multiple areas of my life and growth, and focusing on worth, which signals value but also deserving of a specific treatment, seems apropos. Is this worth my time? Am I worth more than this? What is this possession really worth?
Determining worth for my time and my money are of course at the top of the list. But also relationships, and what fights deserve fighting, and what I provide for my children. It is another step in the quest to be a bit more aware and thoughtful, a more considered life.
Here’s to 2019.